WARNING. I DO NOT MODERATE COMMENTS. ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL PROBABLY BE USED AGAINST YOU BY CRAZIES THAT LURK ON THE INTERNET.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

and for Something Totally Unrelated

I came across this article about the discovery of a poem by Ted Hughes. The subject is the days/night leading up to his wife, Sylvia Plath's , death by suicide. Her death has been the subject of fascination in literary circles for decades. In fact there are those that blame Hughes as he had only recently separated from her and have gone so far as to deface the inscription on her tombstone. In fact, the outcry against Hughes only worsened as he removed it to repair it and then even more so after his partner Assia Wevill killed herself and her 4 year old in 1969.
Back to the Poem. It is not here in it's entirety , but it does give an idea that maybe Hughes was not as culpable as those in history as made him out to be.
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cultural-capital/2010/10/hughes-poem-poet-publish



If you want more on this, in my opinion, the wiki article on Sylvia Plath is quite neutral and gives some good references.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Plath

I can't do ALL your research for you biatches.


PS. I have to add here that I do have a fascination with this myself. If not for the fact that Sylvia Plath's novel "The Bell Jar" has always haunted me. Then add in the mystery/eeriness behind her illness and suicide. Forget about the impact that her life and mostly death had on the women of the time

No comments:

Post a Comment