WARNING. I DO NOT MODERATE COMMENTS. ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL PROBABLY BE USED AGAINST YOU BY CRAZIES THAT LURK ON THE INTERNET.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Around the World in 80 Tunnels.

Ok so not 80, and only across country. I just wanted a cute literary reference in my title. Shoot me.

I was doing my daily farking. What??? I was reading fark.com morons. Sheeesh. You people really have your minds in the gutter. I do not know why I continue to hang around you just to be badly influenced. Oh wait. I want to be badly influenced. Never mind.

Back to my farking. I came across a link to a story about Salem, Oregon's underground.
Here: katu.com news story with no pictures. I saw a reference to Portland's underground and a cursory search found this: http://www.shanghaitunnels.info/

Now tunnels have always been a part of my life. Freaky, I know. to explain how,I have to take you to the OTHER coast. EAST SIDE! REPRESENT!

I really have to check my med dosage.

Anydarkspookyplace, I grew up in Savannah,Ga. The city oozes history. It drips from the walls. Truly.
If you have never been to Savannah maybe you are not familiar with "The Pirate's House Restaurant".Read up here. I'll wait.

Done?

Did you see this part?
Stories still persist of a tunnel extending from the Old Rum Cellar beneath the Captain's Room to the river through which these men were carried, drugged, and unconscious, to ships waiting in the harbor. Indeed, many a sailor drinking in carefree abandon at The Pirates' House awoke to find himself at sea on a strange ship bound for a port half a world away. A Savannah policeman, so legend has it, stopped by The Pirates' House for a friendly drink and awoke on a four-masted schooner sailing to China from where it took him two years to make his way back to Savannah.



I know they do exist. I have seen them. Been in them. In fact, until a recent refurbishment, you could see 2 chained off openings. One was actually gated off at the top of a set of steps. At the bottom of the steps lay a "dead pirate". To spook little kids. As one does.
When I was growing up, we would eat at the Pirate's House every so often and I would visit and be properly spooked by the pirate. Ah good times. I have not been to eat in a few years so I could not give a good review, but it was always an experience, to say the least.
I shall have to go dig up some ghost stories...........

No comments:

Post a Comment